Blackjack - history, rules, and tricks for a successful game
It is beyond doubt that Blackjack is the card game that gets the most attention from those who like to go to land-based casinos or play online. The game is also known as 21 and provides profit opportunities based not only on players' luck but also on their thinking. At Casino Robots, besides free blackjack games, you can find many other casino games such as slots, bingo, poker, baccarat, roulette, keno, card games, and also many dice games, ball games, a wide variety of card games and other table games. Below we present you with a detailed review on Blackjack.
Pros of playing free blackjack games online?
- You can first learn with virtual funds and play Blackjack for free with no deposit;
- There are many versions of online Blackjack and also a variety of online casinos where the game is available. Also, there is the possibility to switch among different versions easily and quickly;
- There are multiple casino bonuses for playing Blackjack online;
- You can play anytime, anywhere. You only need a sturdy connection to the Internet. Online blackjack tables are available 24/7, so you can play whenever it is convenient for you;
- You can play at your own pace using different devices;
- Similar to the original game graphics, sound effects, and a fantastic user interface.
Online casinos provide players, especially novices, with an indisputable advantage that is not available in land-based casinos. They allow playing online Blackjack without any deposit and completely free. Blackjack online offers you the chance to learn Blackjack for free, and after you understand the essential strategies and the rules to play the real game for real money. Some of the strong points of playing Blackjack online include:
How to play free Blackjack online?
Online blackjack enthusiasts would appreciate the unprecedented variety of blackjack games. There are many options you can choose from. Some games offer better conditions and less advantage for the casino than others. Some games give you the chance to win an increasing jackpot. You have to do your research and find out the best options for you and then start playing
A blackjack game begins when placing a bet. That is the bet with which you enter the game. After you have decided on your bet amount, press the Deal button. Two of your cards face up, and the dealer's two cards are as follows - one faces up and the other face down.
- Hit - Press the Hit button to get the next card from the deck, and its points are added to the points already available;
- Stand - by pressing the Stand button, you say you no longer want cards and stop playing. Next up is the next player or Croupier;
- Double Down - Press the Double Down button to double the bet and make sure you only draw a single card. After that, the game is over for you, and the next player or the Croupier continues;
Play on every device Blackjack online
Nowadays, everyone is using different mobile devices, and online casinos allow playing Blackjack for free on your mobile phone or tablet. Where players once had the option of experiencing blackjack games only in the ground or an online casino, now they can have the thrill of a blackjack mobile game free from any location. The mobile blackjack applications are tailored to the specifications of your iOS, Android, or whatever brand device you own.
Mobile Blackjack has the same rules as Blackjack in online casinos. The game interface of the majority of Blackjack digital games looks the same as if you are to play from your computer. There are the blackjack cards and tables so players can take advantage of their device's keypad to place bets and to indicate whether they like to hit, double down, stand or split.
With the mobile options, you can play Blackjack free or use actual money. If you prefer to play Blackjack only for fun, then you can stick to a free mobile game of Blackjack. If you want to experience the thrill of real-time gambling, later, you can play real currency blackjack on any device. The options are limitless.
History of Blackjack
The origin of Blackjack is an endless topic of discussion. At this stage, this gambling entertainment is thought to be of a French origin, with its creation date rotating around 1700. At that time, the game was named "Vingt-et-Ut" or translated into English - "Twenty-one". Over the years, Blackjack has undergone various transformations, such as the Spanish version, which requires you to reach a sum of 21 with a minimum of 3 cards.
Blackjack spread throughout North America because of the French colonists, but at that time, the rules were much different than the ones of the modern version. The Blackjack name reached its height in 1931 when casinos in Nevada began to offer big odds and profits to the best players and fans.
Nowadays, the concept of Blackjack is fascinating. The old rules and boring parties in land-based halls are no longer considered, but instead, there is a way given to the online possibility of betting on the famous name in the world of cards. Below, we will also clarify this hot topic.
Blackjack is played by a minimum of two and a maximum of seven people. We wouldn't classify the game as complicated, although it hides some specifics which require getting used to. On the road to success, the application of different tactics and strategies is needed.
The basic rule is to get to or near the number 21. If you have reached 21 in the game, then you have Blackjack, and you win. If you exceed this sum of cards, you will be on the losing side. You can face the Croupier or other rivals on the playing table. The idea is to learn the cards and to get acquainted with the point asset they carry. That may seem like a daunting task, but basically, it is not.
How to play Blackjack?
Four or six decks of cards are used during the game. The most important rule is to collect more points from the cards the Croupier owns, but the maximum number to aim is 21. That can happen if you know how many points each card has, and for that purpose, we offer a quick reference for more clarity on the subject:
- The ACE card will earn you 1 to 11 points;
- The jack, the king and the queen, carry 10 points each;
- The other cards in the deck will bring you the number of points written on the card.
The player himself determines the points carried by the card "ACE", the possible variants being 1 or 11 points. He estimates how much this card should count according to the result so far. For example, if the total sum of card points is 10, then the Ace will have to be counted for 11 points to reach 21, and if the points collected are 20, then you may want to count the Ace as 1 point, which will help you reach the desired sum along the way to victory.
The Ace carrying 11 points in your favor is also known as a "hard hand" and the same card you choose to give you 1 point is called "soft hand" by the players.
The casino dealer has 1 or 2 visible cards (depending on the type of Blackjack) against your visible cards. If you add up to 21, you will be able to win the amount against the bet you have made. If the dealer also has Blackjack, then there is a tie. There are several types of positions you can use, namely:
- "Stand" position - everyone wants a sum of 21 at first hand, but in practice, this is not always possible to happen. In this line of thoughts, you can resort to a hold position that allows you not to seek additional cards from the Croupier;
- "Hit" position – with this position, you require an additional card from the dealer. That can bring you closer to 21 points and achieving Blackjack. You have the right to draw cards several times, but be careful as you may exceed 21 points and lose the game due to incorrect calculation of the cards you have.
You also have the option of splitting when the two cards of the same kind match. The option is known as "Split" and allows you to place your bet x2, with the option to play both hands individually. Apart from that, you are given a chance to have another single card and carry out the Stand position, which we mentioned above. This approach is known as "Double Down" or in pure Bulgarian - doubling.
What are the croupier' moves?
Provided that the time has come for the dealer to show his cards, several scenarios may be considered. Suppose that the sum of the dealer's points is below 16, then he will take advantage of the "Hit" position, namely taking an additional card.
If his points are more than 16, he can remain passive by holding the cards. In the presence of "soft hand", there is a chance of changing the cards according to what is in Croupier's advantage. These are the most common moves when it comes to the classic type Blackjack found in most online casinos. For other game variants, slightly different rules apply.
What are our chances of a win according to the hand we have?
|Sum of cards||Chance to win|
Types of Blackjack
The European version of Blackjack is the one we discussed above in our article. The American type of the game is similar, the difference being that the dealer has two cards, one of which is visible and the other is not. For example, if there is an ace available, the Croupier turns the other card to see what the result will be. In other circumstances, the player's move is on hold, and only then the dealer checks the other card. Overall, the differences with the Euro version are minimal.
And here are the other types of Blackjack:
- Vegas Strip – The game includes four decks of cards, and players can split two aces at a time, but they can double each pair. The difference here is that getting a sum of 21 after splitting won't count as Blackjack. Doubling occurs only after receiving and splitting two aces;
- Progressive Blackjack – it's the same as the classic one, but it allows players to fight for the ever-increasing jackpot. To participate in the game, you need to invest a minimum of $ 1 and face the rest of the participants. The options are many, and you can find them on the Internet;
- Atlantic City Blackjack – here the dealer can take advantage of a 17-point "soft arm", and the player has the right to split up to 3 hands. Late capitulation and/or bet insurance options are available;
- Spanish Blackjack – here the winning points are not 21, but 31, and the rules are similar to those of the European type of game, the exception being the presence of 10s in the cards;
- Blackjack Surrender – In this type of Blackjack, you can take a defensive position and quit if you notice that the Croupier's cards are close to the sum of 21. In this case, you will not lose the entire stake, but only part of it.
At this stage, these are the more popular games that you can access in the online casinos. It is also possible to come upon some additional suggestions, so read Blackjack's terms and conditions for each game carefully. This way, you will be confident about your money and profits.
Interesting facts about Blackjack
The long history of the card game - Blackjack, has produced many exciting facts. We are unlikely to be able to capture all of them in our review, but we will look at those who make the most impression. Most likely, you will learn many of them for the first time from our website.
- One of the most famous Spanish writers, Miguel de Cervantes, mentions a game similar to Blackjack in his writings. He writes about the game "Veintiuna", which became famous back in 1600. Curiously, his character Don Quichotte is also one of the potential players;
- Napoleon also loved Blackjack. The historical sources of the 18th century, when the game was called "Vingt-et-un", evidenced that fact. Besides Napoléon Bonaparte, Blackjack was played by military personnel in France at the time, and they even bet money on this entertainment;
- Blackjack wins a spot in the Hall of Fame in San Diego, Southern California. That speaks about the significant impact of casino gambling not only in America but around the world. Everyone can view this hall and get acquainted with the history of 21 and more curious gambling games.
Blackjack tricks and strategies
There are some nice ways to profit from Blackjack that we will briefly mention in the following lines. We do not engage anyone with our advice, but simply share the views of the players and professionals. But, in order not to waste any more valuable time, we proceed to the essential part.
At first, we will note that knowledge of mathematics can be of great help to you when playing against the dealer. A simple example, which is more appropriate for beginners, is to observe what is happening on the gaming table accurately.
Let's suppose the dealer has an open card that earns him 8 points. Then you should not hesitate to request a new card. However, if the Croupier has a six, don't draw a card, as his chance to surpass 21 is significantly higher. Here again, we resort to mathematics.
If the card you hold is less than 8 or 8, feel free to use the Hit position by asking for a new card. Don't forget that you have an advantage over the dealer, as you can double your bet with the Double Down option, and the casino does not have this type of opportunity. It recommends that you calculate everything as you play in order to have success.
We've shared some tricks and tips for beginners above, but there are many other tips for professionals too. Counting points, keeping track of the Croupier's game, and taking the right positions can all bring you success in the short or long term.
Successful strategies and tricks you can follow when playing blackjack.
|Player’s Hand||Action||Dealer’s Hand|
|"Hard Hand"||2 - 6||7 - Ace|
|4 - 8||HIT||HIT|
|10 or 11||Double||Double|
|12 - 16||Stand||HIT|
|17 - 21||Stand||Stand|
|13 - 15||HIT||HIT|
|16 - 18||Double||HIT|
|19 - 21||Stand||Stand|
|2/2, 3/3, 6/6, 7/7, 9/9||Yes||No|
|4/4, 5/5, 10/10||No||No|
Card counting in Blackjack
We need to make a small agreement here. If you play Blackjack on the Internet, then counting cards will not be helpful. In the presence of seven or eight decks, the mission of counting the cards is almost impossible. That is not the case with land-based casinos, where this approach can bring you success. Let us briefly mention what this is all about.
In the real casino, card counting is a useful blackjack strategy that limits the dealer's advantages and increases the player's chances of success. There are three types of counting you can use - standard, simple and professional. The difference among the types of card counting lies in the method that is used and its complexity. The player gets an advantage when he finds out that there are more high-value cards in the dealer's deck. An example is when the casino's deck is supposed to have more 10s. In this scenario, the chance of the Croupier to lose is significantly higher.
Therefore, with the correct counting of the cards in the dealer's deck and past hands, you will be able to predict how the game will develop. Of course, to apply these methods, it is a good idea to get to know them in more detail so that they become a habit and to deal with them easily and quickly.
Tips for a successful Blackjack game
We bring to your attention some tips that we had a chance to try when we were new to Blackjack. These guidelines will have a positive sign, so there is nothing to worry about. Read how to maximize the prospects of a profit from the game:
- Use Blackjack strategy tables - these tables contain mathematically proven formulas and show different solutions and possible combinations of your cards and those of the Croupier. We come to the agreement that the strategy tables apply to the online version of Blackjack, but you cannot take advantage of them in a real casino;
- Do not engage in side bets - by gambling online, you will get the opportunity for so-called 21 + 3 side bets, perfect pairs, and more. These bets offer higher payouts than the standard game, but the complexity increases and there is an actual risk of losing your money;
- Look for the good bonuses - you will find licensed online casinos that provide special offers and additional cash incentives for you to bet on Blackjack. That will increase the available funds in your account, and you will bet longer.
Another method that can give you success is to use a Blackjack calculator. It is an effective substitute for the strategy tables mentioned above. Of course, we should not think that the calculator is magical, and with it, profits are guaranteed. Blackjack is a game of mathematics, and it is a good idea to take into account the maximum profits we can reach, as well as to calculate the losses.
With a game calculator, you can check its capabilities by testing it in any free version of Blackjack or by navigating to the online casinos offering live betting and/or virtual gaming options. It helps you understand how the machine works.
If you want to get better at Blackjack and get to know the tactics and strategies of the big players, then you can navigate to a few books in which you will find valuable tips and experience sharing. Unfortunately, there is no specialized literature in every language yet, but there are good Blackjack books in English. Here they are:
- Basic Blackjack by Stanford Wong;
- Beat the Dealer by Edward Thorp;
- Playing Blackjack as a Business by Lawrence Revere;
- Million Dollar Blackjack by Ken Uston;
- The Theory of Blackjack by Peter Griffin;
- ...and many others!
Some of the tips and strategies in this article have been learned by the authors above. We highly recommend books to find more tips and tricks.
Popularity by countries
For decades, the game of Blackjack has brought joy to the casino fans in most parts of the world. We can safely say that this is one of the most famous table games, which attracts the attention of many players and dealers, as well as generates huge profits in the gaming rooms. Over the years, Blackjack has spread to every continent and has become a preferred game for the players.
Blackjack in North America
Las Vegas, Nevada, is the epicenter of the Blackjack world. Statistics show that, in this part of the world, the existing Blackjack tables are over 1346 or two times more than the Baccarat tables (267). More than 151 casinos offer the game, with the turnovers being around $ 1 billion. That indicates the consumer interest and the level of popularity.
Blackjack in Australia
Although Australia's most famous casino game is baccarat, there has been an increase in interest in Blackjack lately. The casinos' revenues there increase each year, and the online variants of 21 also enjoy a lot of fans. From all this we can conclude that, among the table games in Australia, the first place is taken by baccarat and the second one is for Blackjack.
Blackjack in Europe
It's no secret that Blackjack has millions of fans across the old continent. According to statistics, the game is preferred in England and Monte Carlo, but there is also a solid core of players in France, Germany, the Czech Republic, and Lithuania. It is noteworthy to say that lately, many Bulgarians also play Blackjack online and test different betting and profits techniques.
What are the most common mistakes in a game of Blackjack, and how to prevent them?
Beginners make some mistakes that prevent them from winning. We cannot cover all the gaps, but we will note some of the most common ones. This way, you will prevent yourself from repeating the mistakes and will improve your presence on the table.
You continue to play when you feel you will lose
Everything has its limits, which should not be crossed in certain situations. If you bet to offset your losses from Blackjack, you can suffer serious bankruptcy. Our advice here is to say "STOP!" when you see that things are not going well for you. That is the only way that you will not lose money and save yourself the consequences of lack of luck in the game.
You do not pay attention while playing
Playing in online or land-based casinos, you just have fun and do not pay attention at all to the otherwise serious details such as the share of small and big cards. You also forget the card counting that we wrote about in our article, and then you wonder why you have lost. We encourage you to concentrate so you can celebrate at the end of the game.
You consume alcohol while playing
That is a big mistake. Keep in mind that Blackjack is a mathematical card game that features counting, card tracking, dealer monitoring, and more. If alcohol blurs your mind, you can't keep up with what is happening. From this point of view, it is better to forget about drinks when you face the Croupier.
Is it better to play with Croupier live or at a virtual casino?
It depends mainly on your specific wishes. What we can share about this is that when you play online Blackjack, you have more ways to succeed. While standing in front of the computer, you have strategy tables or calculators available to help you with your calculations. That cannot happen if you visit a real casino hall.
The good thing is that nowadays, online casinos offer Blackjack live. In other words, you have a live dealer in front of you, not software. Besides you get different bonuses, the scales tend to incline to the higher benefits of playing in the virtual space.
Of course, no one can replace the time spent with friends at the casino. From this point of view, it may be better for you to take the time to bet in your favorite casino hall.
That is why we will not interfere with your choice. Above, we've outlined all that is interesting about Blackjack by giving a lot of tips, sharing beginner strategies, and making a thorough review of Blackjack's interest. We hope the material we wrote will bring you benefits when you stand against a dealer at your chosen table, whether you are playing on the Internet or at a land-based option.
Blackjack is inevitably one of the most interesting card games, but sometimes we want to try something new. We have prepared several card games that may interest you. Baccarat is an alternative game of luck that requires no skills and can be played very easily. It is played against the dealer, and there are only two bet options – those of the player or the banker. Baccarat is a very intriguing game and is one of the most popular card games worldwide, and there are even countries where it countervails poker and dominates over it. Poker is another card game that has become popular in recent years around the world. It takes time and patience to learn the rules and develop intuition, but when you start playing with real money, the pleasure is supreme.
Where can you play Blackjack with real money?
Blackjack is one of the most profitable casino games that you can play with real money and big bonuses in almost all online casinos. It requires the right strategy, knowledge, composure, and a small amount of luck to be able to beat all the popular online casinos such as:
The popular online casinos offer bonus codes that you can use in the table games like Blackjack, but almost all require an initial bonus to use them. However, there is also a small percentage of online casinos that offer no deposit bonuses to the new players that can use in certain casino games, including Blackjack.
What types of Blackjack exist?
- Classic Blackjack
- Progressive Blackjack
- European Blackjack
- Atlantic City Blackjack
- Spanish 21
- Blackjack Switch
- Vegas Strip Blackjack
- Super Fun 21
How to play Blackjack, and what are the rules?
Blackjack's goal is easy. The winner is those who get 21 or is closest to it. If you get over 22, you lose (you burn). Blackjack starts with 2 cards dealt to you and 1 card for the dealer. You can then choose to draw a 3rd card, say Pass, double the bet, or split if you have 2 identical cards. After your choice, the dealer hands you out a third card.
What are our chances of winning according to the hand we have?
|Sum of cards||Chance to win|
Where does the name of the blackjack game come from?
There is no explanation and no reliable source for the name of the Blackjack game. The game is also called 21 in America and in France "Vingt-et-Ut", which also translates as 21.
When to ask for another card and when to stand in the game of Blackjack?
Here are some basic rules of standing and asking for a third card when playing Blackjack:
- Always ask for a 3rd card when you have 11 or under;
- Always stand with a hard 17 (no Ace);
- Always stand with a soft 19 or more;
- Always ask for a card with a soft 17 or less.
When is it relevant to Double the Bet at Blackjack?
It is appropriate to double your bet in 3 specific situations:
- When you have 11 and your dealer has 6 or less;
- When one card is Ace, and you have 16, 17 or 18;
- When you have 9 or 10, and the dealer has less than 9.
What is Split in Blackjack?
In most blackjack versions, when you have two identical cards, you have the option to select split /dividing/. If you choose to split, the two cards are split into two separate standalone hands and your bet doubles. If you beat the dealer on both hands, then you win twice. If one hand is profitable and the other is losing, you are zero-zero. If both hands are losing, you lose both bets. It is wise to split with two aces and two eights. It is not advisable to split with two tens, two queens, two jacks, two kings, two fours, two fives.
What to do if we have 12 in Blackjack?
There are several options to play if we have 12 at the first 2 cards when playing Blackjack. If the dealer has 4, 5 or 6 it is best to say Pass. 4, 5, or 6 are the cards at which you burn /lose/ the most. But if the dealer has 2 or 3, the best option is to draw a new card.
Can we beat the casino in Blackjack?
If we want to have a chance to win against the casino, we should choose Blackjack. With the right strategy and the proper management of our money (the bank), it is possible to beat the dealer and realize profits.
Table of content
- Blackjack - history, rules, and tricks for a successful game.
- History of Blackjack.
- Blackjack Rules.
- How to play Blackjack?
- What are the croupier' moves?
- What are our chances of a win according to the hand we have?
- Types of Blackjack.
- The European version of Blackjack.
- Vegas Strip.
- Progressive Blackjack.
- Atlantic City Blackjack.
- Spanish Blackjack.
- Blackjack Surrender.
- Interesting facts about Blackjack.
- Blackjack tricks and strategies.
- Card counting in Blackjack.
- Tips for a successful Blackjack game.
- Blackjack calculator.
- Blackjack Books.
- Popularity by countries.
- Blackjack in North America.
- Blackjack in Australia.
- Blackjack in Europe.
- What are the most common mistakes in a game of Blackjack, and how to prevent them?
- Is it better to play with Croupier live or at a virtual casino?
- Blackjack Alternatives.
- Where can you play Blackjack with real money?
- Blackjack FAQs.
Overall rating of Blackjack games by Casino Robots
Rating 9.8 out of 10
We wish you success!